I had the opportunity to hangout in California with Coach Black and the rest of the USA Volleyball coaching staff. It was an incredible experience and I’m going to share as much as I can with you! The first thing I noticed was the staff’s incredible approach to feedback…
Tom Black talks about the importance of feedback and how asking the right questions can accelerate learning:
- Ask questions – When they do something right: “how did that feel?” When they do something wrong: “what can you learn?” or “how did that happen?” This encourages players to really focus and engage on their learning. They also start to see misshapes as opportunities to learn and not something to be discouraged about (an essential piece to the growth mindset puzzle).
- Lengthen the leash - Encourage players to take control of their own learning and strive for mastery.
- Preparation is key - Create a more efficient learning environment. Find ways to maximize reps, feedback, and learning opportunities.
We have a lot of exciting things on the way:
- Karch Kiraly: whiteboards, being a learner, training ugly
- A genius approach to summer training: don’t optimize
- I’m also working on a really cool project that I CAN’T WAIT to tell you about (it involves rats)